Thursday, June 10, 2010

Project Upside Down Tomato Planter

When I saw this blog about how to create a upside down tomato planter out of a two liter I got inspired and made this:


Tuesday I went to the farmer's market and bought a cute tomato plant to use in this project. My eyes fell in love with the small juicy green babies already showing so I bought a bigger plant that what the project called for. Ooops! I adjusted.

Instead of using a 2 liter bottle, I decided to use a milk carton, that way I wouldn't need to buy any spray paint, although it might make it look prettier. But the goal isn't pretty, it is TOMATOES.





 First I cut a giant X on the bottom of the carton as seen here:

Then cut the top of the carton off. I will invert the top to use as a watering spout. I cut along the yellow and white line.
Image of what it will look like inverted:
  
Next I scored a little X in the middle of the top of the carton on both sides. This is for the kabob stick to go through so it'll hold the top in place.



This is the point where things get a little creative. A smaller plant would have been a smart idea. It was time to insert the plant into the carton. However since it was such a big plant already, I didn't want to push it through the small opening and risk injuring it so I wrapped the roots with some mesh I had in my sewing box. I wedged open the bottom really wide so the roots could fit through. Now I feared gravity so I resorted to duct tape.





I used some twine on both sides of the kabob and had my tall husband to hang it up for me. We have one hook on our porch so we were going to move the wind chime but it actually works with the planter so we left it. I watered it and I think it just needs a couple drainage holes but overall it does the job!

No comments:

Post a Comment